Thursday, November 13, 2008

Homemade Apple Pie



We like to watch this show called "Pushing Daisies". It is a good show on ABC. We like this show because it is one that we can watch with the kids, and they love it now too. It is a simple, feel-good show. There is so little that we can watch with the kids and it is fun to sit down and watch something once in a while.


This relates to an Apple Pie, because the main character on the show owns a diner called "The Pie Hole" where they serve many scrumptious pies... (at least I assume they are scrumptious). This all leads up to the project of the day... my yummy apple pie!


It only took me about 30 minutes to make it because I started with a Pillsbury Pre-made pie crust (next time I will make my own crust).


Here is the recipe that I used for the filling:

6 cups thinly sliced, peeled apples (approx 6 medium, I used a variety of apples, Golden Delicious, Gala, and Granny Smith)
3/4 c. sugar
2 T. all purpose flour
3/4 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. salt
1/8 t. ground nutmeg
Dash of ground cloves
1 T. lemon juice

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Mix ingredients together and spoon into a crust-lined 9" glass pie pan. Top with the second crust. Wrap excess edges under bottom crust edge, pressing edges together and seal; flute. Cut slits or shapes in several places on the top crust. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown. Place a cookie sheet on the rack under the pie to catch any spill over from the pie. Cover edge of crust with 2 to 3 inch wide strips of foil after the first 15 to 20 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning. Cool on cooling rack at least 2 hours before serving.

Here is the pie with the apples and filling.

Here is the pie sealed, fluted and design cut on top. Just simple lines.

I think it could have used a few more apples since they cook down. But this is how it looked when I cut out a piece.... It was still warm and gooey.



And this is how it looked on our plates before we ate it....


Mmmmm.... Mmmmmmmm.... Good!

1 comment:

McCall B. said...

That looks so good. You know I don't cook, or craft either, but I do make pies every year for Thanksgiving. I will have to try yours out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...