Monday, October 20, 2008

Bat Man Cake


This is a picture of a LadyBug cake that I made 5 years ago for Samantha's first birthday. It was decorated with rolled fondant and I love the way it looks, but it just doesn't taste very good. Most people peel off the fondant and eat the frosting and cake that is underneath... so.....






For Jared's 4th birthday he requested a Bat Man cake. I wasn't sure how I wanted to accomplish this request. I decided that I wanted to make a rectangle cake with the Dark Knight bat symbol on the cake. Instead of making black frosting, I wanted to use fondant, but I wanted to find an alternative to store bought fondant. I found a recipe for a homemade marshmallow fondant that tastes good. It rolled out and worked just like a normal fondant, but it tasted great. No need to peel off the fondant... it all tastes good!


I am anxious to make a larger batch of it so I can decorate an entire cake with the fondant. I think there is another recipe out there for a fondant that is cooked and maybe I will give that one a try.... experiment a little bit.

Here's the recipe that I used:

Marshmallow fondant
1 cup mini marshmallows
1 tbsp water
1 1/2- 1 3/4 cup powdered sugar

Place marshmallows in a standard 1 cup measuring cup and push down and pack them in. Place in a microwave safe bowl and add the water. Put in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Just long enough for them to soften and puff up. Take out and stir with a spoon until it is combined well. At this point it looks kind of soupy. Then add the sugar and mix and fold until all is incorporated and it is no longer sticky. Take it out of the bowl when it gets to the point where most of the sugar is incorporated and knead it in your hands. This takes roughly about 5-7 minutes. Take a fondant roller or a regular rolling pin and roll out just as you would Wilton's fondant. You can get this fondant almost paper thin and it also repairs well. It's cheap, easy to work with, and tastes great too.

You can make a large batch of this fondant as well by doing this:

Large batch of Marshmallow fondant
1- 16 oz bag of mini marshmallows
2 tbsps water
2 lbs powdered sugar (8 cups)

Do the same procedure as above.

1 comment:

Stuck on U said...

I have used this recipe before, it is bomb. I totally remember that cake, it was so cute. I love this site I check it often , I am always looking for some new craft ideas. When did you go private on your blog? invite me so I an keep up with you. lindseyslettering@gmail.com. Talk to you soon. keep up the fun work.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...